JOB SUMMARY: Will travel to the location of any assignments that the CATG Fire Crew is assigned. The purposes of the position is to act as an administrative assistant to the CATG Fire Crew Superintendent. Provide support on site when the CATG Fire Crew is out on assignment and coordinate with the CATG Fire Crew Finance Manager in daily operations. The incumbent works under the supervision of the Natural Resources Director.
Incumbent will manage a 20-person wildland fire hand crew in support of professional staff in the development, protection, implementation, or maintenance of the Fire or Natural Resources Program.
* Assist Crew Leader with administrative tasks in Fort Yukon and on assignment
* Provide assistance on site at Incident Command Post in coordinating assignments, paperwork, and facilitating communication with the Bureau of Land Management
* Provide administrative assistance to all members of CATG Fire Crew in acquiring materials and equipment necessary for continued daily operations
* Coordinate and assist the Natural Resource Director and the CATG Fire Crew Finance Manager in daily operations
* Coordinates the management of contract crew records with the CATG Staff to ensure accuracy and confidentiality.
* Maintains a friendly and courteous attitude as a representative of CATG to the public.
* Other duties as assigned
Knowledge of modern office principles, practices, techniques, and equipment. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, public and private officials, and the general public. Self-directed person who will take initiative in providing administrative support. Ability to communicate well, both orally and in writing.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Current valid Alaska Drivers’ License
- Over the age of 25 to enable renting of transportation
Non-Supervisory- one (1) year performing general clerical/administrative duties similar to those in this description. An equivalent combination and/or training may be substituted for experience.
- Must be able to lift, push, pull and carry up to 45 pounds.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical work in adverse environmental conditions.
- Must be able to lift and carry heavy loads, and use hand tools to construct fire lines.
- Must have the ability to stoop, climb balance, stand, walk and sit for extended periods of time.
- Will fly in small fixed wing aircraft or helicopters; and will handle hazardous materials. Incumbent will work and live with others over an extended period of time in remote, primitive field camp conditions and work outside in all weather conditions and in a smoky environment. Will operate noncommercial motorized vehicles and firefighting equipment.
Under authority of P.L. 93-638, Indian Preference shall be given to the applicant(s) who meet the minimum qualifications.
As a Federal Contractor, CATG is required to show compliance with the Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988. CATG has initiated and maintained a Drug and Alcohol Testing Policy that includes pre-employment and random anonymous testing thereafter.